Cross Check Frameset 700c Pavement Commuter Frame Set - 563728086
So what is this Straggler anyway? The easy answer is to say that we added disc brakes to a Cross-Check and this is close to accurate. People have asked us to make a disc version of our highly versatile Cross-Check for a long time now and almost everything about the two are very similar. Straggler is slightly different, though.
The most obvious difference of course is that the Straggler has disc caliper mounts instead of rim brake studs. Itll accept rotors up to 160mm. The rear dropouts are unique, too. Theyre a partially closed horizontal design that accommodates singlespeed or geared drivetrains. They feature stop screws that thread in from the rear to further secure the wheel and to position the rear wheel for optimal shifting, plus a forward-mounted stop screw on the drive side to keep the wheel from slipping forward under the force of your gargantuan legs. The rear dropouts are spaced 135mm instead of 132.5mm like the Cross-Check simply because there are far more options for disc hubs in this spacing.
Straggler shares all of the Cross-Checks braze-ons for fenders, racks and bottle cages. The Stragglers geometry is slightly different, with angles and tube lengths very close but not identical to the Cross-Check, but like the Cross-Check its ready to take you just about anywhere. Its a day tripper and a weekender. Its a rough road road bike. Its a cyclocross bike with no pretense about racing. Its a utilitarian townie. Its a light-duty touring bike. Its an all-weather commuter. And when you get tired of one set up, you can swap parts around and turn it into something else. We think thats pretty neat.
- Tubing: 100% Surly proprietary 4130 CroMoly tubing. ED Coated. TIG-welded. Double-butted main triangle
- Rear Dropouts: Forwardexiting horizontal dropouts with adjusters give you singlespeed compatibility and wheelbase adjustability to help you fit the tires and fenders you want to run with that drivetrain you want to run. 135mm spacing
- Brake Compatibility: Disc only. 160mm max rotor size
- Braze-ons/extras: Fender eyelets at the dropouts, front and rear rack bosses and dual water bottle mounts. Oh yeah, it sports downtube shifter mounts
- Seatpost diameter: 27.2mm
- Seatpost clamp diameter: 30.0mm (Surly stainless included)